Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Not So Liberal

I'm a liberal - or so I always thought. Seems like the more I age, the more I start to have (gasp) conservative thoughts.

The other day I got some information in the mail - from one of the liberal organizations I am a member of - and they presented some interesting facts on Medicare. Seems that, as a result of some legislation passed back in 2003, the amount that people will have to pay to be in Medicaid will become income based this year.

The standard monthly premium for Medicare Part B, which covers doctors visits and outpatient hospital care, will rise to $93.50 next year from $88.50 this year. Individuals with an annual income of more than $80,000 (more than $160,000 for married couples) will pay monthly premiums of $106 to $160, depending on income.

Now, the organization that sent me this info argues that wealthier people may drop out of Medicare because of this premium thus abandoning the poor folks to what might become a disgraced health care plan.

Here's where I leave the liberal fold. This sounds about right to me. Private health insurance will cost about $300 per month - if they (wealthy) want to leave Medicare, that's great. That will also be fewer sick people making claims against Medicare.

As an old timer becoming a member of the fiscal conservatives (control deficit spending, reduce the national debt), I think folks who can afford to pay more of the costs of Medicare should help foot the bill.

What do YOU think?

No comments: