Sunday, March 04, 2007

Did You Know - Richard Dawkins

From a Playboy article, March 2007. I find this as astute an observation as I have ever seen or heard on the topic of the existence of God.

RICHARD DAWKINS; My mind is not closed, as you have occasionally suggested, Francis. My mind is open to the most wonderful range of future possibilities, which I cannot even dream about, nor can you, nor can anybody else. What I am skeptical about is the idea that whatever wonderful revelation does come in the science of the future, it will turn out to be one of the particular histori­cal religions that people happen to have dreamed up. When we started out and we were talking about the origins of the uni­verse and the physical constants, I provided what I thought were cogent arguments against a supernatural intelligent designer. But it does seem to me to be a worthy idea. Refutable— but nevertheless grand and big enough to be worthy of respect. I don't see the Olympian gods or Jesus coming down and dying on the Cross as worthy of that grandeur. They strike me as parochial. If there is a God, it's going to be a whole lot bigger and a whole lot more incomprehen­sible than anything that any theologian of any religion has ever proposed.

Richard Dawkins is the philosopher and author of the book, "The God Delusion."

No comments: