Thursday, September 19, 2013, 2:41 pm
“You want to know why the American people are angry and disgusted and frustrated?” Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT)asked in a Senate floor speech on Wednesday. “That's why,” he thundered.
- The typical middle class family has seen its income go down by more than $5,000 since 1999 after adjusting for inflation.
- Average male workers made $283 less last year than they did 44 years ago.
- Average female workers earned $1,775 less last year than they did in 2007.
- A record breaking 46.5 million Americans lived in poverty last year.
- 16 million children in America (21.8% of all kids in America) lived in poverty last year.
- A higher percentage of American kids lived in poverty last year than in 1965.
- A higher percentage of African Americans lived in poverty last year than 15 years ago.
- 9.1% of seniors lived in poverty last year, higher than in 2009.
- More American seniors were living in poverty last year than in 1972.
- 48 million Americans are uninsured, 3 million more than in 2008.