Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cutting the deficit

Periodically I run across these posts that declare that Congress should take cuts in pay - or that Congress should have to live on the same health insurance plan as everyone else - and these posts are tempting to buy into. I don't see that Congressional salaries are too high, or that their benefits are too good - they are running the largest economy in the world - but it does irk that once elected, even if they only serve for a few months, they continue to get that salary and those benefits for the rest of their lives. I know that my pension is nowhere near as generous as the salary I once earned, nor is my health insurance still provided.

But the bigger point is that the amount of money involved is just a pittance when we compare it to the cuts that really need to be made to bring our budgets back to a balanced state. To be blunt, this is really just something to divert our attention away from the real problems we have.


No comments: