Thursday, November 28, 2019

U.N. Rapporteur: Julian Assange Has Faced Psychological Torture; He Should Not Be Extradited to U.S.

The United States is still seeking Julian Assange’s extradition to the U.S., where he faces up to 175 years in prison on hacking charges and 17 counts of violating the World War I-era Espionage Act for his role in publishing U.S. classified military and diplomatic documents exposing U.S. war crimes in Iraq and Afghanistan. A full extradition hearing will take place in February. U.N. Special Rapporteur on Torture Nils Melzer recently spoke about Assange's case in New York, saying his initial skepticism about the WikiLeaks founder changed as he began to look more deeply at the evidence and charges against him. “As I scratched the surface a little bit, immediately, things did not add up with the images I had in my mind of this man,” Melzer said. “The deeper I got into this, the more fabrication I saw.”

No comments: