Sunday, April 06, 2014

You can just feel the raw hate for other people

In my youth I was quite religious. I attended church regularly, attended Sunday School and, later, youth groups for teenagers. I sang in the church choir. I participated in church pageants and even did some babysitting for one of our ministers. Then I became exposed to the dark side of religion - the disdain for people not of our faith - or age group - or race - or sexual persuasion. I decided at a still-young age that such nonsense did not fit the principles that I wanted to live by and before I was twenty I was done with religion. I have seen nothing, and I mean NOTHING, that even comes close to changing my mind. It takes a special kind of mind set to be a believer today and I don't fit that mold.
.

Mississippi Governor Signs Religious Freedom Bill Into Law (Click here to read more)

EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS
April 4, 2014
.
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant signed a bill Thursday that supporters say will assure unfettered practice of religion without government interference but that opponents worry could lead to state-sanctioned discrimination against gays and lesbians.
.
The bill, called the Mississippi Religious Freedom Restoration Act, will become law July 1. It also will add "In God We Trust" to the state seal.
.
An early version of the bill, considered weeks ago, was similar to one Arizona's Republican governor, Jan Brewer, vetoed after business groups said it could hurt that state's economy. Supporters say the final Mississippi bill bears little resemblance to the failed Arizona measure.
.
Outside the state Capitol on Thursday, more than 75 gay-rights supporters protested against the bill. Jeff White of Waveland, a founder of the Mississippi Gulf Coast Lesbian and Gay Community Center, said as someone who is gay and Jewish, he worries such a new law could make him more vulnerable to unfair treatment.
.
"It's the first time in my life that I've actually considered moving out of Mississippi," said White, 32. "It made me physically ill the past few days, realizing what they're trying to do."

No comments: