Friday, May 21, 2010

Usenet shutting down

The Usenet, a sort of alternative branch of the WWW on the information super highway, is shutting down...

Duke University in North Carolina is where Usenet began, and today the institution is shutting down its Usenet server. The college cites "low usage and rising costs" for the decision.
---Source


The reason I post this here is that I get a LOT of the images that I post on this site from the Usenet. I don't think there are many who use the system anymore, but I for one will miss it. I haven't heard anything about a replacement - but the possibility exists. There are several large, for-profit companies who aggregate and store the data from the Usenet - maybe they'll join forces to keep it going - or maybe Google will do something to mimic the system.

Otherwise it will take a lot more time to pool enough political images to create a post or two.

1 comment:

BamaPolyBiGuy1 said...

It looks like it's just that one server. There's plenty more out there, though.