Thursday, December 20, 2007

Religion In Politics

People who call themselves Christians have intrigued me no end since I reached adulthood. Having grown up in a fairly liberal branch of the Christian religion, I never really understood those who took small aspects of the faith to the nth degree. I knew Methodists who wouldn't play card games. I knew Baptists who wouldn't dance. I knew Seventh Day Adventists who wouldn't celebrate their birthdays - or who wouldn't allow themselves to be treated for disease. I knew of Mormons who felt they had to devote two of the best years of their lives to trying to pry their way into other people's lives. I could come up with dozens of other examples, but it all comes down to one nagging question for me.

Why do Christians get to pick and choose which parts of the Bible they believe in? I remember as a kid that my parents didn't believe in the virgin birth, but proclaimed that they were true believers. How the hell can that be? How can you believe that such a major facet of the religion was a tale of some sort yet still see any truth in of the rest of the book? What about women who dress in slacks - the Bible specifically prohibits women from wearing men's clothing. And how about men who let their wives be boss of the family - the Bible is adamant about men being in charge of the family.

The reason this is all so important to me is because of the pressure to push this mixed-up, confused religion into our political lives. Not only does this mixture of beliefs exist out there, but everyone wants to shove their brand of religion down my throat. I might easily have gone along through life with only a minor interest in this whole religion thing and not have bothered anyone, except so many right-wing Christians want me to be forced to believe what they believe and to live according to their creed. This year the fad will be to ban abortions, next year they'll want to ban HBO - or the book I want to read - or the TV show I want to watch - or the dance I want to dance - or the sex toy I want to play with - - - -
you get the idea.

I'm sick of it.


The Archbishop of Canterbury said yesterday that the Christmas story of the Three Wise Men was nothing but a 'legend'.

...

The Archbishop went on to dispel other details of the Christmas story, adding that there were probably no asses or oxen in the stable.

He argued that Christmas cards which showed the Virgin Mary cradling the baby Jesus, flanked by shepherds and wise men, were misleading. As for the scenes that depicted snow falling in Bethlehem, the Archbishop said the chance of this was "very unlikely".

The reason, really, is that there is too much in the book that would interfere with one's credulity if you really took the whole thing seriously.

Read more from the Archbishop here...>

No comments: