Thursday, August 16, 2007

Did You Know - Abandoning Religion

I suppose there are a few people who stop by to read this blog. A few for the cartoons, a few more for the photoshopped images I find around the 'Net. I doubt many read the news summaries I post, with limited commentary, but perhaps someone does.

And he/she (the person who reads this stuff) probably gets a little perturbed by my religious postings - sort of off topic. But not really, what with the right-wing religious nuts having such an influence on politics and government these days.

I was a religious child - bought into the whole thing. But as I reached the age of consent, I began to see a lot of nonsense associated with religion and the church - I began to realize how hypocritical and warped the whole "religion" thing was/is. Today I make no presumptions about the existence of a superior being living in some alternative universe. Who the hell could know.

But I do know - the Gods of the Bible, or the Koran, or even the
Romans are all myths. He couldn't be both good and evil, both caring and uncaring, both listening and non-reactive. I'm not the only one who has discovered this in his/her life - others have too.


Nine years ago, William Lobdell was assigned to cover religion for the LA Times. He was a born-again Christian when he got the gig. In 2001 he started studying to convert to his wife's religion, Catholicism.

That was when the trouble began for Lobdell.

He began reporting on the molestation scandals in the Catholic church: I discovered that the term "sexual abuse" is a euphemism. Most of these children were raped and sodomized by someone they and their family believed was Christ's representative on Earth. That's not something an 8-year-old's mind can process; it forever warps a person's sexuality and spirituality.

Read the whole thing on Boing Boing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just dropped in to give a shout out. I read your blog every day. Although I usually just skim the graphics (I've seen most, if not all), I always love when you post your own editorial comments.

Keep it up! :)

Mike Messerli said...

Just found your site. Good stuff. I am a Christian, but I am NOT religious! I think religion is deadly...so on that we agree, but I question your comment in this post, "But I do know - the Gods of the Bible, or the Koran, or even the
Romans are all myths." But I know? Let me suggest that this may be your belief, but you don't KNOW that faith in God or his existence is myth. I could make an opposite dogmatic comment regarding God's existence....whatever got you to this point of faith let me encourage you to leave some room for faith in God. He's not what we stupid humans have made him out to be....and he is there and he is not silent.
Good blog, thanks for all the work, I enjoyed it.