Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Proud to be an American

I wake up every morning and thank my lucky stars that I’m an American. Every time I watch the news I’m reminded that the United States is the best place on earth. Think about it. I could be living in one of those horrible Middle Eastern countries where

  • The news is controlled and filtered to provide only the government’s viewpoint,
  • The people are superstitious and poorly educated,
  • Foreigners are not trusted,Intellectuals are marginalized,
  • The government uses fear to retain power,
  • Education is a political tool,
  • Politicians reduce complex problems to emotionally volatile slogans,
  • Religion is used to divide people,
  • The government encourages corporations to rape the environment,
  • Political dissenters are attacked as unpatriotic,
  • Religious leaders preach hate and intolerance,
  • The government spends an inordinate amount of money on its military,
  • Elections are rigged,
  • Science is subservient to religion.

On second thought, I’m going back to bed.

No comments: