Saturday, June 25, 2022

I’m not the believer in American exceptionalism that I once was - and here’s someone who agrees

Molly Gum

 · 

I’m sick of living in a country that continues to move backward while the rest of the world moves forward. 

I’m sick of living in a country where a radical religious minority disproportionally holds power and continues to impose their theology on the rest of us. 

I’m sick of living in a country that values guns more than children. 

I’m sick of living in a country where women are relegated to second-class status. 

I’m sick of living in a country where five unelected justices can curtail the rights of millions of people. 

I’m sick of living in a country where fascist mentalities are mistaken for patriotism. 

I’m sick of living in a country that serves corporations instead of people. 

I’m sick of living in a country where politicians care more about their power than doing what’s right. 

I’m sick of living in a country that refuses to confront how racism has shaped and continues to influence our institutions. 

I’m sick of living in a country that tries to shame and disparage LGBTQ+ humans for simply living their truth. 

I’m sick of living in a country that doesn’t believe healthcare is a basic human right. 

I’m sick of living in a country that prioritizes banning books over funding education. 

I’m sick of living in a country that demonizes and dehumanizes immigrants fleeing violence and oppression. 

I’m sick of living in a country that rejects science and disregards public health and safety in the name of “freedom.”

I’m sick of living in a country that has 5% of the world’s population but 25% of its incarcerated people so private, for-profit prisons can rake in millions of tax dollars. 

America is no longer great. America no longer deserves to call itself a beacon of freedom and liberty. We are at a crossroads as a nation. Your vote has never mattered more than it does today.

No comments: