Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Waldman's GunFail

Nine of the 61 guns discovered by TSA agents at airports across the country, during the week of February 13-19, 2017.
Nine of the 61 guns discovered by TSA agents at airports across the country, during the week of February 13-19, 2017.
It’s actually a good thing when we can say we only found 32 GunFAIL incidents as of “press time” during the week covered in this installation in our series. Sure, there were still 10 people who accidentally shot themselves, 10 kids accidentally shot, and 6 people who accidentally shot family members or significant others. And yes, three cops and security guards were involved in gun accidents, two people accidentally fired into their neighbors’ homes, and a smattering of others mistook someone for an intruder, left their gun in a public bathroom, or were involved in a hunting accident.
Even in a week that (thankfully) had lower numbers overall, there are always to be found at least a few examples of truly ludicrous GunFAIL. From Elgin, South Carolina, comes the story of yet another completely unnecessary gun usage, this time as a prop in a simulated Zombie Apocalypse survival event called the “Dark Knight’s Terror Trail.” What call there may be for a Dark Knight’s Terror Trail in the middle of February I’ll leave to others. Still more mysterious, though, is the need to enhance the event by firing real shotguns around the patrons. It was supposed to be firing blank rounds. And the staff supposedly had lots of training with the weapons, plus additional instructions not to aim at the patrons. But by golly, something, somewhere went wrong, and a paying customer got shot with a 7.62mm plastic projectile, anyway. Pro tip for operators of haunted houses, “spook walks,” Wild West shows, and now “terror trails”: you might want to rethink how necessary this particular stunt is.
Well, maybe it’s a little more necessary for Wild West shows. But seriously, we’ve got to get this right.
From Independence, Montana, we also have the story of a man who accidentally shot his fiancée. On Valentine’s Day. Clearly, this is another gun usage that should just never have happened, but it did. The man, frustrated by his car breaking down, got out of the vehicle, pulled a pistol and shot the engine compartment of the car five to six times. I don’t know why he thought that would help the situation, but it certainly didn’t help the passenger still in the car. You see, the way cars are built, passengers will be seated behind the engine compartment. And, well, you know how bullets work.
Well, I mean, I assume you do. Maybe that’s a mistake. Some people don’t, I guess.
Some of those people are listed in this week’s stories, below.
  1. LINCOLN, NE, 2/12/17: A Lincoln man accidentally shot himself in the foot with a handgun on Sunday afternoon, according to scanner traffic. Scanner reports indicate a man involved was in a basement on the 1900 block of Garret Lane when the gun accidentally discharged around 2:30 PM. First responders weren't sure if the man owned the gun, but they believed that multiple people were at the scene during the incident.
  2. ELMHURST, IL, 2/12/17: Elmhurst police have charged an 18-year-old man from Chicago with weapon offenses following an accidental shooting that happened inside a car parked in the 200 block of Clinton Avenue at 10 PM Sunday night. Mickiel J. Smith, of the 1300 block of North Mayfield Avenue, was charged with unlawful use of a weapon and possession of a firearm without a firearm owner’s identification card. Police Chief Michael Ruth said his department was contacted by staff of Gottlieb Memorial Hospital in Melrose Park after Smith sought treatment in the emergency room there. “The weapon discharged and shot him in the thigh,” Ruth said. “He told us the gun went off in the car.” Ruth said Smith was parked near a friend’s house when the accidental shooting happened. Elmhurst police officers recovered the gun, checked the serial number and found it had been reported stolen from a home in Hillside in a burglary. Ruth said Smith told officers he had acquired the gun from what Ruth called “a third party,” so he was not charged in connection with the theft. Smith was released on bond.
  3. WATERLOO, IA, 2/12/17: A Waterloo man was taken to the hospital after he accidentally shot himself in the leg Sunday night. Chadreon Torele Gilley, 22, told police he was carrying a handgun and was getting out of his vehicle behind Prime Mart, 508 Broadway St., at about 7:50 PM Sunday when the weapon fired, police said.
  4. LORAIN, OH, 2/12/17: “Full of life” are the words an Elyria woman used to describe her younger sister, Erica Dervic, 27, who recently was killed in what police say was a reported accidental shooting Feb. 12 in Lorain. “She was a firecracker,” said Samantha Dervic, 29. “She had a heart of gold.” Erica Dervic, who lived in the 400 block of Iowa Avenue, was pronounced dead after arriving at Mercy Regional Medical Center’s emergency room, according to Lorain police Lt. Ed Super. She suffered an apparent “through-and-through” gunshot wound to her upper arm during the incident around 12:47 PM at her home, a Lorain police report said. Samantha Dervic said her family has suffered a great loss and her mother, Cheryl Frame, is beside herself. Erica Dervic, who was raised in Elyria, was the second youngest of four siblings. She had a 7-year-old son, Ma-Kyle Grondin. Samantha Dervic said her sister recently started a job at Camaco, 3400 River Industrial Park Road in Lorain, and was a couple of weeks away from having her life insurance policy kick in. Before securing a job at Camaco, Erica Dervic was home-schooled and then took classes at Lorain County Community College for a couple of years. Samantha Dervic said her sister had talked about someday going back to school. “She just wanted to find a man, be happy and start a family,” Samantha Dervic said. “She was just a beautiful person inside and out.” In her spare time, Erica Dervic loved being outdoors and spending time with her son, family and friends. Samantha Dervic said her sister loved four-wheeling, fishing and shooting. “She took pride in her guns and her capability of shooting,” Samantha Dervic said, noting her sister had a permit to carry a concealed weapon. “She was very knowledgable and skillful when it comes to guns.” In the meantime, while the family continues to struggle with Erica Dervic’s loss, the Lorain Police Department is working to piece together what unfolded that tragic afternoon. According to the police report from the shooting, three males—a 30-year-old Lorain man, a 21-year-old Lorain man and a 34-year-old Oberlin man—were present at the time of the incident, but charges have yet to be filed. All three males were tested for gunshot residue, the report said. The results—which were not listed in the report—were forwarded to detectives as part of the investigation. Super said the incident was reported as an accidental shooting and the investigation is ongoing. Once the investigation is complete, all of the information and evidence collected, including the Lorain County Coroner’s report, will be forwarded to the Lorain County Prosecutor’s Office for review, he said. “We are not planning on charging anybody directly, but we also have not completed our investigation,” Super said. Detectives are working to uncover as much information as possible, he said. Samantha Dervic said the family is finalizing funeral arrangements, but plans to have the service and viewing at Laubenthal-Mercado Funeral Home, 38475 Chestnut Ridge Road in Elyria.
  5. VICTORVILLE, CA, 2/12/17: The 20-year-old Riverside man arrested hours after authorities believe he accidentally shot a 17-year-old boy was released from custody late Wednesday night after booking records show he was only held in "detention." Booking records show Jesse Arroyo was released from the High Desert Detention Center in Adelanto at approximately 9:08 PM. Arroyo was expected to be arraigned in a Victorville courtroom Wednesday afternoon if criminally charged by prosecutors. A search of court records did not show any charges filed against Arroyo, who was arrested Sunday night in the 16800 block of Tracy Street. San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department Victorville Station spokeswoman Mara Rodriguez told the Daily Press the station was notified that the San Bernardino County District Attorney's Office declined to file criminal charges on the case. A message left with a DA's office spokesman was not immediately returned Thursday morning. Deputies responded to a shooting a little before 2 PM and found a boy lying in the street with a gunshot wound to his chest. The victim was transported to a local hospital and was later airlifted to Loma Linda University Medical Center, where authorities said he was in critical condition earlier this week. Investigators determined the boy was in his home with Arroyo and two other friends during the shooting, which is believed to be accidental. Deputies arrested Arroyo at approximately 7 PM on suspicion of assault with a firearm. Authorities said it was initially reported that the shooting suspect was an unknown male who entered the victim's home and shot him.
  6. EUGENE, OR, 2/12/17: The Eugene Police Department arrested a man shortly after midnight Sunday for unintentionally shooting another person. Officers arrested Charles Pressburg, 44, after responding to a report of a gunshot wound in the 700 block of Rossmore Street at 12:04 AM. "Pressburg is a Reserve Police Officer with the Lake Arthur Police Department in New Mexico," Lt. Jennifer Bills said in a press release. "His agency was notified of the incident and he has been placed on administrative leave pending an internal investigation." Police say Pressburg was intoxicated when he unintentionally discharged a handgun and shot another man in the leg. The man was treated at the hospital for a non-life threatening injury. Pressburg was taken into custody on charges of assault 3, negligently wounding another, unlawful use of a weapon, and reckless endangerment.
  7. NEWNAN, GA, 2/12/17: There is a warning from police after a toddler got his mother's gun and shot his 11-year-old sister. Police said this particular 9 mm handgun doesn't have a safety feature and it shouldn't have been around children at all. “We did determine that weapon did not have a safety-type device on it,” Lt. Tate Washington said. Police said a mother came to eat at a Newnan restaurant Sunday afternoon with her 3 children—an infant, a 2-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl. They said the mother had a 9 mm handgun in her purse in a holster, but her gun had no safety feature on it. Police said the 2-year-old unzipped the purse when the mom wasn't looking, unzipped the small compartment containing the gun and fired it. His sister was hit in both legs. “What they thought at the time was a bullet,” Washington said. “Medical staff was able to determine it was not a bullet, it was a machine-type screw.” According to police, there's a plastic piece at the bottom of the holster the mother had, and a screw holds it in place. The barrel of the gun sits on the plastic piece so when the 2-year-old pulled the trigger, the screw went into his sister's leg. She was transported to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta. “The child did have surgery to remove that screw. She was listed in stable condition,” Washington said. The mother could face charges, but police believe this was a terrible accident. They hope others will take notice.
  8. GREAT FALLS, SC, 2/12/17: A student at Great Falls High School was accidentally shot Sunday, police said. Hunter Lee McManus, 17, was shot once in the left side of the rib cage, a police report shows. No charges will be filed, said Robert Sprouse, chief deputy for the Chester County Sheriff’s office. He said McManus is expected to recover. The owner of the .40-caliber pistol, identified in the police report as McManus’ cousin, Zachary Bailey, 25, of Great Falls, told officers who responded to the incident around 4:30 PM Sunday on Scott Road in Chester that he had just bought the pistol. Bailey told officers he went to McManus’ home to show it to him. Bailey told officers that he unloaded the weapon and gave it to McManus, the report states. When McManus gave the weapon back, Bailey told officers he did not know McManus put the magazine for the gun back in the weapon. Bailey then released the slide on the weapon and told police that the gun went off. The bullet grazed his left hand and hit McManus in the side, the report states. Police seized the weapon and McManus was airlifted to a hospital for treatment.
  9. ELGIN, SC, 2/12/17: The good news, there wasn’t an actual zombie apocalypse on Saturday night. The bad news, a woman was accidentally hurt during a zombie survival experience in Elgin. The woman was struck by a piece of hard plastic fired from a real gun during an event at the Dark Knight’s Terror Trail, on Highway Church Road, according to Kershaw County Sheriff Jim Matthews, whose deputies responded around 1:30 AM on Sunday. Matthews said it was an accidental shooting and there were no arrests or charges filed. The woman suffered a puncture wound in the upper side of her right leg and was taken to an area hospital for treatment, according to Matthews, who said it wasn’t a serious injury and added no other injuries were reported. The incident happened during a part of the zombie survival experience that involves shooting simulated rounds of ammunition. Events were held on Saturday and Sunday, with another scheduled for 6:15 PM on Tuesday. The woman, a participant and not an employee, was accidentally struck by a 7.62mm round fired from a gun that one of the event’s co-owners said was supposed to fire blank ammunition and not discharge any projectiles. “The actors were experienced personnel with professional firearms training, and were some 30 to 50 yards away from the crowd and on top of a building structure, with instructions to aim at the treetops,” said Mitch Oates, co-owner of the Dark Knight’s Terror Trail. “The scenario was that marksmen were to clear a path through the zombie horde.” This is the third year for this particular event, and Oates said it’s the first time there have been any problems. “It’s my understanding the event has been done in the past with no issues,” said Matthews. “An accident happened. … Lots of care needs to be taken when using a real weapon.” There’s no plans to use pyrotechnics, gun powder and blank ammunition – pending further review, Oates said. “Our goal is to provide a fun and safe environment in which to scare and entertain our patrons and we routinely follow all possible safety procedures with pyrotechnics and special effects,” said Oates, adding he’s been in touch with the woman who was injured, saying she was in good spirits and doesn’t hold any ill will. “I’d like to express our heartfelt apologies to her.” The Dark Knight’s Terror Trail website describes the event as a 2 hour survival experience, where teams of two work together and fight to find supplies in order to survive. The website warns the event is frightening, and at times participants might be in total darkness, hear loud sounds, see flashing lights, and come into contact with “scare actors.” The cost to participate is $50 per couple. Oates said Tuesday’s “My Zombie Valentine” event will be held as scheduled.
  10. NORTH CHARLESTON, SC, 2/13/17: A juvenile faces charges after North Charleston police say he accidentally shot another teen in the leg while playing with a gun outside a vehicle near Park Circle. Police said the 17-year-old victim was sitting in the driver's seat of her Jeep while a 15-year-old acquaintance loaded and unloaded a gun Monday. The weapon discharged, striking the victim in the lower leg. Officers responded to the scene at 4616 Hyde Ave. about 5:11 PM and found the victim in the Jeep. She was transported to an area hospital. There were two witnesses, according to an incident report. The suspect has been charged with possession of a firearm by someone under 18 and discharging a firearm within city limits, according to North Charleston Police Department spokesman Spencer Pryor. He is lodged at the Charleston County juvenile detention center. Pryor said the gun involved in the shooting had not been reported stolen. Monday's gunfire came after two other shootings involving kids reportedly playing with guns in North Charleston this month. On Feb. 3, a 15-year-old initially told police that suspects in a car shot him in the groin in the Liberty Hill neighborhood. He later confessed that the shooting happened after he and others were playing with guns in the area of Piedmont Avenue and Bolton Street. He tripped on the railroad tracks while running from the area, causing a gun in his possession to fire. A few hours later at a home in the same neighborhood, police said a 9-year-old boy shot and injured his 7-year-old sister after getting a hold of a gun that their mother had left unattended on the couch. The siblings were alone at the home on Clifton Street near Piedmont Avenue. They ran down the street for help after the shooting. Their mother and stepfather were charged.
  11. FLINT, MI, 2/13/17: A 37-year-old man accidentally shot his father late Monday evening on Flint’s north side after mistaking him for a burglar. According to our media partners at, police were called out shortly before 10 PM Feb. 13 to the 200 block of Ruth Street off Martin Luther King Avenue for a shooting. Upon their arrival, officers were told by the man he’d believed someone was breaking into his home and fired off a shot that struck a person coming through the front door. The person behind the front door was the man’s father, police said. He was taken to Hurley Medical Center for a gunshot wound to his side and listed in good condition. There was no word from police regarding any potential charges against the son in connection to the shooting incident.
  12. FLINT, MI, 2/13/17: A nightclub security guard is recovering in the hospital after shooting himself in the butt, police say. Flint Police responded to a call reporting "a gunshot wound to the buttock" around 11:20 PM on Monday, Feb. 13 at the Z Club nightclub on S. Dort Hwy., said Michigan State Police Lt. David Kaiser. Z Club, which reopened in April 2016, has a history of shootings. However, police say this injury was self-inflicted. According to Kaiser, the 23-year-old nightclub security guard was placing his handgun into his waistband when he accidentally fired the gun into his butt cheek. The man was hospitalized and is reported as being in stable condition.
  13. EAGAN, MN, 2/13/17: A 31-year-old Eagan man is accused of fleeing from a bar earlier this month after a gun he wasn’t supposed to have went off inside the bar’s bathroom, according to charges filed in Dakota County Court. Marquis Demon Bettis Sr. was charged with possession of firearm by ineligible person and reckless discharge of a firearm in connection with the incident, which happened Feb. 13. According to the charges, the Eagan Police Department was called at about 2:36 AM to Casper’s Cherokee on a report of a gunshot. Responding officers were advised that a gun went off in a bathroom, but nobody had been hurt. The suspect was described as a light-skinned black male with dreadlocks that had blonde tips. Officers got to the scene and did not locate the suspect. A bartender and manager had recovered a shell casing and gave it to officers. A witness in the bathroom at the time of the incident told officers Bettis went into a bathroom stall and once he was in the stall, he heard the gunshot. The complaint states Bettis left the stall and said, “Did you hear that?” He then quickly ran out of the bathroom and left the bar. The bar manager also said he heard a gunshot. The complaint states officers identified Bettis as the suspect and went to his residence, where people were looking out of windows and there was movement. Officers couldn’t contact him. He was arrested three days later after police conducted surveillance outside his residence. According to the complaint, authorities learned a woman obtained a permit for a gun last year and used Bettis’s address as hers. Neighbors told police he lived there with his girlfriend and three children. Officers executed a search warrant, but didn’t find the gun. Bettis has a 2011 conviction for fifth-degree controlled substance that does not allow him to have a gun. The incident is under investigation.
  14. BRYCEVILLE, FL, 2/13/17: A Bryceville father makes a financial plea to help cover his son’s medical expenses. Paul Megois created a GoFundMe account after son Dalton, 17, accidentally shot off part of his thumb and index finger Feb. 13. Dalton’s parents and grandparents were home at the time of the accident, according to Nassau County Sheriff Bill Leeper. The remaining three fingers were mangled by the accident. He and a friend were shooting at targets in the backyard of the teen’s residence just after 6 PM at 1504 County Road 119. According to Megois, Dalton was an experienced marksman, having shot guns since he was 5 years old. Dalton was shooting at targets with a World War II Mosin-Nagant bolt-action rifle when he attempted to add a bayonet to the gun’s barrel. However, the bayonet did not slide on as smoothly as he had planned, according to his dad. Dalton held his hand over the open barrel, attempting to adjust the bayonet shortly before the gun fired. “He knew the gun was chambered but those guns have a de-cocking mechanism and he disengaged the mechanism, and the firing pin still went off,” Megois said. Dalton was initially transported to UF Health Jacksonville. Because a hand specialist was not on duty at the time of his arrival, the teen was transported to Blake Medical Hospital in Bradenton where he is recovering, though Megois said he should be released this week. “His spirits are really low,” Megois said. “He will have to undergo multiple surgeries in hopes of saving his fingers.” Dalton is a junior at West Nassau High School with plans to study nursing in college while working as a certified nursing assistant. He has already completed some coursework. His dad and mom Nicky are trying to keep their son’s spirits high. Although Dalton uses caution when he handles firearms, accidents can still happen, his dad said. “Complacency happens with the most careful gun owners,” Megois said. Donations toward Dalton’s medial expenses may be sent via
  15. ST. LOUIS, MO, 2/13/17: A 27-year-old woman and her boyfriend face charges following the shooting death of the woman’s six-year-old daughter. According to our news partners at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, prosecutors charged Ebony Jones and 31-year-old Jeramee Ramey with second-degree involuntary manslaughter and three counts of child endangerment. The shooting took place just after 1:30 AM Monday in a home on Minnie Avenue, that’s in the Walnut Park West neighborhood. The victim, identified as Mi’Kenzie Bostic, was found on the floor in a bedroom with a gunshot wound to the head. She was pronounced dead at the scene. Investigators believe Jones and Ramey took drugs the previous evening and fell asleep in the front room of the apartment. A loaded 9mm handgun was left on the floor. One of Mi’Kenzie’s siblings told police that another sibling asked Mi’Kenzie to get the gun and that sibling then accidentally shot Mi’Kenzie with it. No one was else was harmed in the shooting.
  16. INDEPENDENCE, MO, 2/14/17: A Jackson County man was arrested Tuesday after accidentally shooting his fiancée. According to the police report, Tyrell Staten was upset after his car broke down in Independence. Staten got out of the car and fired multiple shots at the silver Toyota Rav 4. A witness told police that the suspect shot five or six times into the front of the car, near the engine. The passenger of the car, Staten’s fiancée, was shot in the process. The victim told police that they were shot accidently by the suspect. The victim says they believe Staten would not have shot them on purpose. Staten told police that he meant to fire rounds into the ground in front of the car but the gun kept moving up towards the victim after each round was fired from the gun, according to the police report. Staten was charged with unlawful use of a weapon, domestic assault and armed criminal action. His bond is set at $150,000.
  17. INDIANAPOLIS, IN 2/14/17: A 17-year-old boy is behind bars and a 16-year-old boy is dead following a shooting Tuesday night. The incident took place at an apartment complex on Indy’s west side. Police say the exact circumstances of the shooting are still be investigated, but the case does once again illustrate the importance of gun safety. While playing with a pistol, police say the suspect killed his friend. Police say the shooting appears to be an accident, but the victim’s family isn’t convinced. “This wasn’t an accident. You don’t accidentally shoot someone in the forehead,” said the victim’s sister, Antonette Frierson. “I don’t feel it was accidental because of what I have heard,” said the victim’s mother, Angelyca Dossa. Antonio Frierson Jr., 16, had been a student and football player at Ben Davis High School. His family says they’ve heard different accounts of what happened and are devastated by the death. “My brother was really loved and it’s sad he’s gone. We can’t bring him back,” said Frierson. “I can’t imagine anyone going through the pain we have right now,” said Dossa. Unfortunately, Angelyca isn’t alone in having to deal with this sort of tragedy. In just the last two months, 5-year-old D'Asia Turentine was shot and killed by her 3-year-old brother at their apartment after police say the toddler pulled the gun out of his mother’s purse while she was sleeping. In Greenwood, 18-year-old Isaac Steinmetz is charged with killing one of his best friends 16-year-old Zachary Edwards. Police say the teenage suspect confessed to the shooting, but said he had no idea that the gun was loaded. A recent study found Indiana ranked seventh in the nation in accidental shootings per capita. “Antonio was a loved person. He was friends with everybody but I guess he picked the wrong friends,” said Dossa. Police say the shooting Tuesday night shows guns in the hands of minors can have deadly consequences. Whatever led up to her son’s death, Angelyca agrees too many kids have easy access to guns. “Grown-ups shouldn’t give kids guns or have kids around guns at all,” said Dossa. Right now, police are not releasing the name of the 17-year-old suspect until prosecutors can decide whether to charge him as an adult. He is being held on a charge of reckless homicide.
  18. PATTON TOWNSHIP, PA, 2/15/17: Patton Township police confiscated a shotgun from a local man after he reportedly fired a round into his neighbor’s apartment. According to the criminal complaint, an officer was dispatched on Feb. 15, 2016 [sic], to the 300 block of Oakwood Avenue for a health and safety incident. The officer was advised that a weapon had been discharged inside a home, blasting into the neighboring unit. No injuries were reported, police said. On the scene, the officer met with Samuel A. Snyder, 28, and the neighbor, who was described as “still visibly shaken,” police said. The officer observed a large hole inside the neighbor’s residence, determining the round had stopped in the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. The neighbor said she was in the shower when she heard a “loud bang,” police said. When she exited the bathroom, she noticed debris on the floor and holes in the walls. According to Snyder, he was getting ready to clean his shotgun and had reportedly checked the weapon, police said, saying he “felt that it was safe and unloaded.” He reported that he held the shotgun at waist level and “dry fired” when the gun went off, catching him by surprise. Snyder said the round was a special “home defense” 12-gauge round made of a slug and three “00” pellets, police said. He said he contacted his neighbor, who said she wasn’t injured but that the projectile had entered her apartment. The shotgun was described as a Remington 870, which police said they took possession of on Feb. 23, 2016 [sic]. Snyder later reportedly stated he had recently moved to State College and “assumed that his gun was unloaded since he was transporting it,” police said. The neighbor reported on March 7, 2016 [sic], that repairs to her apartment cost $400, police said, and had been reimbursed by Snyder. Snyder was arraigned Monday by District Judge Kelley Gillette-Walker, according to court documents, and charged with a misdemeanor count of reckless endangerment and a summary charge of criminal mischief. Unsecured bail was set at $20,000. A preliminary hearing is slated for March 15.
  19. HOUSTON, TX, 2/15/17: Houston police officers were called to a shooting at an apartment complex in west Houston where the body of a man in his early 20s was discovered with a single gunshot in the upper torso. The shooting was reported in the 1400 block of South Dairy Ashford Wednesday night. Officers said there were four male friends inside the apartment at the time of the shooting. According to Lt. Larry Crowson with the Houston Police Department, a preliminary inquiry into the shooting revealed it may have been accidental. One of the men was either playing with a semi-automatic weapon or cleaning it. Then with a single bullet still in the chamber, it fired, hitting the victim, according to police. The weapon was recovered, Crowson said. HPD homicide detectives will continue the investigation.
  20. OKLAHOMA CITY, OK, 2/15/17: A person who was found shot Wednesday afternoon in southwest Oklahoma City suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said. The incident was reported in the 800 block of Brookwood Drive, near Southwest 89th Street and South Western Avenue. Authorities said the shooting was accidental. The victim was taken to an area hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
  21. TULSA, OK, 2/16/17: A man told police that he accidentally shot his girlfriend at a north Tulsa apartment complex Thursday evening. The woman, who police said is 40, was taken to a hospital, where she was undergoing surgery Thursday night. Information on her condition was not available. Cpl. C.J. Jackson said the boyfriend, who is in his 40s, reported about 7:45 PM that he’d shot the woman at the Seminole Hills apartment complex in the 1600 block of East Virgin Street. Police detained the man for questioning, but he had not been arrested by 9 PM.
  22. MOBILE, AL, 2/16/17: According to the Mobile Police Department, a man was arrested Thursday night for chemical endangerment of a child. 29-year-old Michael Hardy was arrested by Mobile Police on Old Shell Road around 6:25 PM. Officers were on Hardy’s property Thursday night because Hardy accidentally shot himself in the hand. After responding to the house for a report of “one shot”, the officers noticed illegal drugs in plain sight and children running next to them. Officers took Hardy to a local hospital to treat his gunshot wound. After leaving the hospital, Hardy was arrested and sent to Mobile Metro Jail. Hardy faces multiple charges including chemical endangerment of a child, theft of property 4th-degree, along with several traffic violations. This is not Hardy’s first stint in Mobile Metro Jail. He has been arrested eight times in Mobile County since 2008. Mobile Police tell News Five that the children were turned over to another family member and were not harmed.
  23. NEOSHO, MO, 2/17/17: Newton County authorities say a man was accidentally shot in the back at a gun range near Neosho. Sheriff Chris Jennings says the shooting happened Friday morning at the conservation area gun range east of Neosho. The Joplin Globe reports the man’s name hasn’t been released and his condition was not immediately available. Jennings said the victim was at the 7-yard line of the range, about 15 yards in front of a man whose .380-caliber gun discharged one round. Jennings says the man was putting his gun back together but there apparently was a round still in the barrel. Jennings said the slide went forward and discharged the round as the man was reassembling the gun.
  24. BINGHAMPTON, NY, 2/17/17: Police have arrested a 20-year-old man after a shooting at a Binghamton Deli. Police were called to the Yellow Deli at 121 Susquehanna Street around 2:40 PM on Friday. They say an altercation took place between three individuals in the deli, and that one of them, Fuquan Campbell, 20, of Binghamton, was armed with a handgun. Police say Campbell shot the two other individuals, along with a 15-year-old bystander. In addition, police say Campbell accidentally shot himself during the altercation. Campbell has been charged with three counts of Attempted Assault in the First Degree, and one count of Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree. Police say none of the victims sustained life threatening injuries. They say the 15-year-old victim was treated and did not require hospitalization, and that the other two victims, including Campbell, have been hospitalized. The handgun used by Campbell has not been recovered.
  25. PADUCAH, KY, 2/17/17: A Paducah man is behind bars after allegedly firing a rifle inside his home Friday night. The McCracken County Sheriff's Office says deputies arrived at a home on Lottie Court at around 10:30 PM on February 17 in response to a call made about the firing of a gun. At the home they found Joshua Prince, 35, who had reportedly fired a rifle inside his apartment; the bullet landed in a neighboring apartment, hitting a wall above the neighbors' bed while they were sleeping. Authorities don't believe Prince meant to fire the rifle, and instead mishandled the weapon, causing it to fire accidentally. Deputies arrested Prince on 2 counts of wanton endangerment, and his firearm was seized as evidence. The investigation is ongoing.
  26. GALLATIN, TN, 2/17/17: Gallatin Police are investigating an accidental discharge of a weapon in a parking lot Friday. Around 5:55 PM Friday, an off-duty officer was in the parking lot of the Dollar General on Broadway. The officer accidentally discharged a weapon into the pavement. There were no injuries. WSMV has asked the Gallatin Police Department for the identity of the officer and why the weapon was in a position to be fired.
  27. SNEADS FERRY, NC, 2/17/17: A man is intensive care after officials say he accidentally shot himself in the head. The Onslow County Sheriff’s Office responded to 312 Chadwick Acres Road in Sneads Ferry around 11 PM Friday evening to a report that someone had been shot, said Maj. Chris Thomas. Jacob Daniel Howell, 26, of Chadwick Acres Road, was with his family and girlfriend, “messing with” a .38 revolver, when Howell shot himself in the head, Thomas said. Howell was transported to New Hanover Regional Medical Center where he remained as of late Monday in intensive care, Thomas said. Calls to New Hanover Regional Medical Center for an update on Howell’s condition were not returned by deadline. Since the investigation showed the shooting was accidental no one has been charged, Thomas said, but the investigation is ongoing. The sheriff’s office was waiting on medical records Monday afternoon. Thomas declined to comment on whether drugs or alcohol played a factor in the shooting.
  28. TOLEDO, OH, 2/17/17: An 11-year-old boy was shot in the leg by another youth Friday night in the 3200 block of North Detroit Avenue, Toledo police reported. Djuan Warren, Jr., of the 1300 block of Milburn Avenue, was shot in the lower right leg by Zaveyon Corringh, 10, of the 3200 block of North Detroit, police said. Young Corringh told police after the 10:24 PM emergency call that he accidentally shot the other boy with a gun they had found. The younger boy said the gun fired when he picked it up, according to the report. Police said the Warren youth was taken by his father to ProMedica Toledo Hospital. A hospital spokesman said he was released after treatment.
  29. FRANKLIN LAKES, NJ, 2/17/17: An unidentified Franklin Lakes police officer suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound while investigating a dog complaint Friday, the department reported. Capt. John Bakelaar said the injury was not life threatening,  but that officer was still in the hospital receiving treatment, and further details were not yet available. No one else was injured, he said. "We are looking into the circumstances," Bakelaar said in a release. "We have no further comment at this time." The officer was reportedly responding to a dog complaint at approximately 2 PM Friday.
  30. TOPEKA, KS, 2/17/17: A Topeka man drove himself to a local hospital with a gunshot wound Friday morning, police said. Around 10:15 AM police responded to what was reported as an accidental shooting in the 4200 block of S.E. Ohio Court. However, the man had driven himself to a local hospital, police Lt. Jerry Monasmith said. Monasmith said the man’s injuries appear to be minor, but officers were interviewing him at the hospital.
  31. TEXARKANA, AR, 2/18/17: Two boys ages 13 and 12 apparently were playing with a gun when the 12-year-old was fatally shot, authorities say. The 12-year-old and a friend were at a residence in Texarkana, Ark., when the shooting occurred over the weekend. Police said they arrived to find the 12-year-old boy had been shot. He was rushed to a hospital, where he died. "Both of the juveniles were playing with a gun at the time of the incident by account of the witness that was there, the 13-year-old juvenile that was there," Texarkana, Ark., police Detective Shayne Kirkland said. Police aren't saying which boy was holding the gun when it was fired. At this early stage of the investigation, authorities said, it appears the fatal shooting was accidental. What's unclear is how the boys got their hands on the gun and why it was fired, Kirkland said. The 13-year-old's mother told investigators the gun does not belong to her. "The weapon was recovered, and it was gained by ill means by the victim and possibly the witness," Kirkland said. An autopsy of the 12-year-old's body has been ordered. "Compare that to what we have been told by the witness and what the evidence we already have and make sure that all aligns itself to the account that we were told," Kirkland said. No charge has been filed. The boys' names are not being released because they are minors. On Wednesday, counselors are expected to be on hand as students return to class at College Hill Middle, the Texarkana, Ark., school the 12-year-old attended.
  32. OCEANA CO., MI, 2/18/17: A 13-year-old boy passed away at the hospital after police say he was accidentally shot while hunting. It happened Saturday just before 4 PM on East Cleveland Rd near 192nd Ave. Michigan State Police say when they got to the scene they found a 13-year-old boy from Wyoming, Mi. had been shot in the head while small game hunting. The boy was with two other hunters. The boy was taken to the hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

No comments: